It is important to profile a wealthy person; so that we can learn from them. However our model should be based more on the characters in the bible that were wealthy, people like Abraham, Job, Solomon, David, Cornelius and Jesus our Lord while He was on earth.Their wealth was as a result of their obedience to God in today's terms they were born again and work the grace on their lives.Many Christians are not working on the talents and gifts that God has given them.
We must avoid the temptation of modelling our lives after those who are rich without Christ. Those who worship gold instead of God. As this is a sure way to destruction.
Should we aspire to be rich or wealthy or have enough? I would say yes, because when we are blessed we should become a blessing like Abraham. There is nothing wrong with having more than enough, so that we do not go about begging or falling into temptation and that is the bottom line of the definitions to being wealthy- having more than enough so that you can help others.
Listed below are the characteristics that made Abraham and other people in the bible wealthy. We can model our lives after them and be blessed.
1. Wealthy people are readers and learners 2 Tim 2:15
2. They utilise or employ all their talents and skills Prov 18:16
3. They have more than one source of income Eccl. 11:1-2
4. They radically reduce their expenditure or they always spend less than they earn.
5. They are financially literate and understand the cost of borrowing
6. They invest in things that have value
7. They never give up believing Gen 26:18-22
8. They have a tough skin against shame and mockery
9. They exude passion and confidence in all that they do
10. Laziness is not their friend Prov 19:15,24
11. They practice business before pleasure
12. They are worshipers by giving their life, their tithes and offerings Gen 14:17-20
- How can I have more than I need starting from today?
- What makes people stingy towards God?
- How can I reduce my expenditure radically?